Previously the concept of scanners was not so much into existence. With the passage of time human beings got more accustomed with the usage of scanners. Indeed, they are of great help! They help capture the perfect picture of the document thereby retaining its originality. It saves our time, makes our work easy and crisp.
The functions of document scanners, as mentioned also include capturing the reflections of scanned documents or text and save these images digitally to picture or PDF formats. With the advancement of scanning technology, most document scanners can distinguish variations in color. These are the added advantages.
Therefore, we can already guess how important scanners are!
So, we thought of briefing you up with the handling and usage of neat scanners through this article of ours.
|Table of Content|
|It’s all neat!|
|How to use a neat scanner without software?|
|The other side of the coin.|
Let’s get into the details!
IT’S ALL NEAT!
For the past some years, The Neat company has been producing a number of software for all the operating systems. These software platforms have better enhanced features for document scanning, storage and retrieval. This software is very carefully designed so that it runs on Windows, Mac, Android and Apple iOS. In addition to performance and infrastructure, the improved and updated version also includes features of the other older Operating system specific versions.
The most important thing is the newest Neat scan utility platform also has support for non-neat scanners.
One point of dismay is that, in 2015 Neat stopped developing feature enhancements, updates and bug fixes for some versions of neat desktop software and the versions that were affected were the Windows neat version 5.7 and all the previous versions and the Mac version 4.5 and all the previous versions.
HOW TO USE A NEAT SCANNER WITHOUT SOFTWARE?
Disclaimer: A person can continue to use the Neat software without subscription with the Neat hardware, however, it is not designed to work with third-party hardware. Therefore, to use other manufacturer’s scanners, one must utilize Neat’s cloud software.
The question is, how do I scan without installing Neat software?
Neat scanners work directly with the downloading of Neat Legacy software but they can also ne used with third party TWAIN compatible software.
Dear friend, before you begin it is important that you need to install the driver for your Neat scanner model. Neat connect users will also need to set the scan destination to computer by swiping from left to right on the touch until the display shows computer.
For windows users Neat suggests installing the free NAPS2 scanning software or one can also use windows fax and scan. While Mac users can use Apple’s built-in image capture tool to scan items directly his or her Mac without first going through Neat’s organizational software.
Steps to be followed for NAPS2 software
- First, the latest version of NAPS2 needs to be downloaded from https://www.naps2.com/
- Second, was soon as you open NAPS2, a profile needs to be set up for your Neat scanner by clicking on scan and selecting New profile.
- The third step is to click on the radio button for TWAIN Driver.
- Selecting ‘Choose Device’ and then selecting the Neat Scanner Model is the next step.
- Setting up to desired features is also feasible. For Neat desktop scanners you can set paper source to Feeder for one-sided scans and Duplex for two-sided scans.
PRO_TIP: One can always return to Profile settings by clicking on Profiles and then Edit for the Neat scanner.
- Your scanner now ready for scanning. You can load your pages in the scanner and click the Scan button at the top left in NAPS2.
- Once you are done, you have the option to save as PDF or Image files.
Steps to be followed for Windows Fax Scan
This is built in to all the current versions of Windows.
- Search programs and open it.
- The next step is to choose whether to scan into Fax and scan utility or to documents.
- If you wish to edit your scanner profile settings you can do it from scan settings.
- Choose the profile that matches your scanner model and click Edit.
- Scan related changes can thus be made such as choosing color, changing resolution, selecting a new file type to save the scan and others.
- Then Click on save Profile.
- When all these things are ready click ‘New scan’ in the top left margin to start the process.
- There are options for rotating images too.
- Right click on the image and select View.
- Use the buttons indicated for rotating the image.
- Click on ‘File’
- Click on ‘Exit’ to save the changes.
Steps to be followed on Image Capture (Mac)
- Firstly, you will have to totally close out of the Neat software.
(Go to Neat and then ‘Quit Neat’)
- Click on the Spotlight Icon.
- Type Image capture and hit Enter to launch.
- Once that launches, select the Neat Scanner from Devices on the left side of the Window.
- One can click on Show details to view and change scanner options.
- You can use ‘ScanTo’ to choose the place where you can save your scan.
- ‘Format’ allows you to specify a file type for your scan.
- Insert a Document into the scanner and click Scan.
- Your documents will get scanned.
Therefore, these are some of the Neat Scanner software alternatives that will allow scanning outside the usage of Neat Software.
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN
There are some other things that we would like touch down upon,
Firstly, how to connect Neat scanners to the computer, if Neat scanners are to be used.
If Neat scanners are being used then the latest drives are to be downloaded from Neat Scanner Drivers.
If Neat scanners for Mac are to be used then the reinstall link is to be used for reinstalling the Neat Scan driver. The link is, https://neatcompany.helpdocs.io/scanning/reinstalling-scanner-drivers-in-neat-for-mac
For third party scanners, you are supposed to look up to your scanner manufacturers for the latest TWAIN compatible drivers, that also with the exception of Fujitsu scanners.
After Reinstalling, if it does not show up Neat, then these steps are to be followed.
- Plug the scanner to the port directly at the back of your computer.
- Switch it on.
(You are to avoid USB hubs or docking stations)
- Hold the Windows keys on your Key board and type ‘device manager’.
- Select device manager from the results to open it.
- The next step is to expand imaging devices ad other devices.
- Check your scanner model, right-click and go to Update Driver software.
- Select ‘Browse’
- Select ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Double click on ‘Neat Scanner’
- Click ‘Next’
- Your device manager will update the scanner driver, after the procedure is over, it might need a restart of your computer.
- Lastly, Launch Neat and try scanning once more.
The next thing is, how can I scan with a Neat Scanner?
The procedure is,
- Click on Scan.
- A Neat scan window appears
- If the Neat Scanner is not connected, the user gets a notification message.
- Thereafter, one needs to turn the Neat Scanner on.
- A list of scanners that are connected to the computer will appear in the upper left corner.
- Click on the small down arrow next to the scanner name thus choosing the scanner you want to use.
- Once you are done selecting, load a piece of paper into the scanner and click ‘Scan’ in the neat scan window or on your scanner.
IS THE NEAT SCANNER WORTH?
There is a myriad string of reviews regarding this. Most users say, they have been eventually good at the first instance but then it appears to be not worth. Some users are of the view that they are good. Others say that there aren’t up to the expectations.
In Today’s article we have brief you up about the usage of scanners with and without the Neat software. What are the steps that are to be followed if a person is using Neat scanners and what could be the probable openings if a person is not using a Neat scanner software?
Hope this article helps you my friend, in answering your queries relating to Neat Scanners.
Have a Good Time!